FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Cautionary Tale (how I royally screwed up my *G qualifying strategy on A3)
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:35 am
yurtripper

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
I may be mistaken (it is 1am after all) but I think this is one of the situations where delaying the claim of you HKG flight might actually be of benefit. The "status clock" does NOT reset when you reach Silver (the Silver -> Gold qualification works on a rolling-year rather than on a fixed year as it does for Gold renewal) so, in theory any miles left over after the Silver requirement should carry over towards Gold qualification. So... If you just don't claim the HKG flight until AFTER you reach silver by the preferred method (12,0000 + 2 segments), and then retro claim HKG, it will still be backdated to the date of the flight of course, but then those miles SHOULD carry over. At least in theory although I don't know of anyone who has done that and posted here.

What do others think? Am I mistaken or does this make sense?
I like that idea.. making it a retro claim after I can patch in another trip to ATH.

Do others agree that this will work (i.e. Silver will be activated as soon as the retro claim is credited and the excess miles will carry over)?