View Single Post
Old Mar 26, 18, 4:20 am
Quark999

Programs: Yes
It's important to reiterate that there are two different systems, one for long-haul, one for short-haul. BA themselves don't make that very clear. Both solutions are very new, and in my opinion it was the right decision to roll out something more future-proof which means it will actually be useful for something.

The short-haul Inmarsat/Deutsche Telekom network is just about getting ready for commercial use. BA didn't do themselves favours by not distinguishing between the long-haul network (ready, but very new and teething problems) and the short-haul network (not even quite ready yet), and especially for the latter there isn't really delays, but it was never going to be ready when announced to begin with. Also, for the long-haul network, there are still entire aircraft types (such as the 787) that don't have an antenna solution available from Gogo at all yet.

Originally Posted by Naz1 View Post
Quite a lot of the short haul aircraft have actually been fitted, 2 Wi-Fi receivers on the bottom of the aircraft. The delay will be due to CAA radio licensing or the Wi-Fi ground towers that are set to be used.
The shorthaul network won't be using Wifi ground towers, but cellular downstream over land, a bit like the original Gogo, with Satellite upstream, and Satellite downstream over the sea. I don't think the CAA has much to do with this now, as this is a pan-European network and the aircraft certifications will be done. Viasat is currently throwing its toys out of the pram because of that land-based component, but that legal challenge doesn't seem to have delayed things, and it should ensure that the bandwidth will be useable if this is picked up by more and more airlines. Details here: https://inflight.telekom.net/ean

So, short of BA rushing the announcements to combat Norwegian, I think this is all just as quick or slow as had to be expected...