FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:42 pm
seawolf
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Newbie2FT
Was that a response to me? If so, I'm not sure what you're getting at.

The fact that business visitors should bring along documentation in case it's requested by a CBSA officer doesn't really change the government guidance or regulations above (in fact, it was even included in the guidance). It also doesn't mean that every person who wants to enter a Canadian airport or immigration booth through the APEC lane needs to "check applicable trade agreements ... or claim you are visa exempt due to NAFTA", or will automatically be subjected to a rubber-gloves-level examination of "documentary evidence ... such as contract/RFP/invite."

Hence, why I said the advice was over-complicating the issue.
Originally Posted by ffsim
Actually, I'm not certain that's great advice. Business visitors are just that -- visitors. They're not supposed to close deals, sign contracts, or engage in anything that would ordinarily require an employed Canadian. From the CBSA's website, these are some activities which are routinely conducted by business visitors:

As a very knowledgeable immigration lawyer once told me, a business visitor must be able to conduct all activities while in the host country with his "hands in his pocket." That means no exchanging of payment, no signing of contracts, no use of tools, etc etc. It's a great rule of thumb which has helped me and my colleagues (both American and Canadian) satisfy countless border guard agents' questions over the years. The words "contractor," "consultant," and "training" are immediate red flags because they imply that the visitor is being paid for his presence during the visit.

Careful... from the very post you linked to:

You're not "working" if you don't enter the labour market. As I mention above, any sort of business-related activity that doesn't eliminate a Canadian's ability to fill that employment position is eligible for entry as a business visitor. As soon as you're doing "work," you're taking a job from a Canadian and that's a no-no.
In regards to over complicating it....I'm not the one responding with quotes to various applicable Canadian regulations/acts.

All I'm saying is bring evidence to support the reason for your business visit (whether it is contract/SoW/names of people you are meeting/ticket showing you are attending trade conferences etc). This applies whether you are visiting Canada or any other country where you are a foreigner.

It would not be a pleasant experience if you show up at immigration (wherther it is CBP/CBSA/UK Border Force/Bundespolizei etc) as a foreigner stating you are here for business and then IF they decide to ask for more details and you can't produce any evidence to backup your stated reason for visit.