Old Mar 24, 18, 10:47 am
Trav1970

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat View Post
It is just nonsense to think about bits and pieces, whatever "soft" perks.
If I was running AY, I would:
1. Kill the possibilty to exchange points to reach Lumo, only by flying
2. New requirement to have min. 4 AY long haul flights in paid J per year, otherwise no cigar
3. Unlimited SH upgrades. Lumos get so many vouchers and points anyway that they can upgrade most of their long hauls, if they even book Y on long haul to start with (not easy to get 450k points by flying cattle)
1 - if you were to use the normal rule of exchanging no more than 50% of the required points, you would need to exchange 675 000 points. Not many people have that many points unless they fly a lot anyway, and then they most likely would qualify for Lumo anyway.
2 - Seriously, how many people anyway earn 300.000 AY+ points without flying long hauls in J?
3 - Agree completely. However, on flying long hauls in Y, that happens even for frequent flyers when on vacation. How I would view this is "provide vouchers for confirmed upgrades" (eg when flying with family), and proactively offer complimentary upgrades on all flights where available. Complimentary upgrades are very common with many other competitors.