FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice for 1 week in Algieria--help me refine my rough trip idea
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:35 pm
kyushuman

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
When you're leaving Algeria, you'll look back on this thread and smile-- Algerians consider themselves to the living in the 7th safest country in the world.
https://www.dzbreaking.com/2017/08/0...llup-rankings/
Hope that helps to allay fears. Yes, there was a Civil war-- and also terrorism in the 90s-- but almost nothing has happened to a foreigner in 5 years. And those who were attacked were working at gas and oil fields in the Sahara Desert.
That said, in Spain 2 years ago I watched a Japanese female tourist get scammed and robbed by some locals.....

Originally Posted by jackal
Any thoughts on safety in Algeria?

I'm traveling with some family members, including a female cousin who is just out of college. Some of her family members have expressed trepidation about her safety.

Most of what I see online, including official State Department warnings, TripAdvisor threads, Lonely Planet Thorn Tree threads, etc., gives me zero cause for concern about our particular itinerary, but it might be nice to get some additional thoughts. We can bail on the Algeria portion and connect onward to MAD for $193 r/t--not horrible for so close in.