FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NZ in Late November -- Itinerary Suggestions
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:53 am
swingaling

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by :D!
I had 7.5 days with a similar QR sale last November and that was perhaps enough to cover the top half of the North Island.

I lasted until 6pm on the first day having been up since 3am NZ time, which you will also have to do since you don't have time to eat after arrival if you want to do 6 hours of driving and get to all the sites before they close.

I suggest you stick to one island and leave the other for next time.
As far as the North Island is concerned, Hobbiton is the main thing we want to see. Glow worm caves and hot springs would be more of an add-on while we're in the area. Aside from that, the bulk of the things we want to see are in the South Island. Since we have to be in AKL to catch our QR flights, I'm looking to build in a little time to see a few North Island sights either upon arrival or prior to departure.

Instead of trying to get all that done on the day we arrive, it may make more sense to catch an onward flight to ZQN/CHC on our first day. Then on the day before we're due to fly out from AKL, we'd fly from CHC to HLZ/ROT, rent a car, hit Hobbiton and then drive to AKL CBD for our final night. I just checked car rental rates and they're insanely expensive. Wow.