FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Babyseat blocked recline
View Single Post
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:51 pm
ctownflyer

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Sykes
You actually don't know the rules for all airlines. The policies that the FA must follow may differ from aircraft to aircraft, and can actually differ depending on the type of operation. Those policies are not published to the public, and none of the links you posted speak to them in detail. It is certainly true that we sometimes encounter a power-tripping flight attendant, but we're at a disadvantage in that in some areas, like this one, we have no way of knowing for sure what additional legitimate restrictions might exist, so it's almost impossible to discern between an actual policy and a made-up-on-the-spot "rule". Aside from that, fighting with a power-tripping FA is not a recipe for a pleasant flight.
Bingo. Need to pick your battles. Easier to just select other seats in the first place and not have to battle at all.

I've traveled on 150 flights with carseats and I've heard it all. When they say that I can't have a carseat at all, that's when I call out the BS.

Several years ago I didn't know that you can't have a carseat in the row in front of or behind the exit row. I sat with an infant from CLE-MCI on a UA Q400 in F class, seats 2CD without a problem. On the return trip the FA told me that I can't sit in 2CD as it's the row behind 1CD, which is an exit row on the Q400. Those are the only 2 rows of 2 seats on the Q400, so we were booted back to coach.

I protested, but sure enough the FA pulled out the manual confirming that she was right, despite the countless times it hadn't been enforced. Live and learn.