FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Age of Hotels/Year Built
View Single Post
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:03 am
Horace

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Marriott15
Is there any way you can see or find out what year a hotel was built? I am really trying to make a effort to not stay in crappy old hotels. Today I stayed in a brand new Spring Hill Suites and was blow away! I will never stay in the crappy Courtyard in that town again when I am on business!
Just click on "Room Details" during the online reservation process on Marriott.com. You'll usually see something like this:

Hotel Highlights
  • Hotel was built in 1985
  • Rooms were renovated in 2015
I suppose if you want to limit yourself to hotels built in the past year or two, the year that the hotel was built is meaningful.

However, just because a hotel was built 20, 50, or even 100 years ago, there's no reason to assume it's a "crappy old hotel." In recent years, I've stayed in older properties -- first-generation Courtyards, historical Autograph Collection properties, cookie-cutter Marriott Hotels from the 1980s -- whose rooms and lobbies are in excellent condition.

Also the "built" and "renovated" years are not always reliable. The "built" year can sometimes be the year the hotel was brought into the Marriott system, not the year when the building was built. The "renovated" year can be ten years go, but the hotel actually performs ongoing maintenance and refreshes that keep the hotel in excellent condition.

I find that the best way to get warnings about hotels in poor condition is to read reviews at TripAdvisor, Marriott.com, and here on FlyerTalk. When multiple recent reviews mention that a hotel needs to be renovated, the reviews tend to be right.

Last edited by Horace; Mar 21, 2018 at 9:54 am