FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NZ in Late November -- Itinerary Suggestions
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:25 pm
swingaling

Programs: AA EXP
NZ in Late November -- Itinerary Suggestions

I've booked tickets for a (relatively) quick trip to NZ for me and the wife in mid-late November and I'm now starting the process of figuring out what we actually want to do there. I've been to AKL before, so I don't necessarily need to spend any time there.

Flying on QR from DOH in J. So we should be (somewhat) rested when we arrive. Either way, I won't waste the arrival day sleeping and will power through any jet lag.

Arrive: Monday, 19 Nov at 5:00 AM in AKL
Depart: Saturday, 24 Nov at 3:30 PM in AKL

I have a general idea of some things that interest us, but I'm undecided about order of doing things and what exactly we should do. I have some goals, though. I'm flexible here and want to be realistic, so I'm willing to skip certain things that may not be reasonable. Willing to do some driving, but flying would be nice. Not really looking to do much hiking, perhaps a short day hike. No camping or huts or hostels. Would love to see the mountain scenery (hence the TranzAlpine).

1. See North and South Islands
2. Hobbiton, glow worm caves and Rotorua (all on the first day and overnight in Rotorua or Tauranga, perhaps)
3. Milford Sound and Queenstown (or Franz Josef or Aoraki)
4. TranzAlpine train (maybe stop at Arthur's Pass?) to HKK? HKK-CHC-AKL/ZQN?
5. Final night in AKL and walk around Auckland on final day before flight (Sky Tower, etc)

Bonus Points (to please the wife): Visit a brewery perhaps? Day (i.e. 3 hours) at the beach (probably too ambitious and cold in Nov)?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you can offer.