FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:51 pm
jessicak

Cool TSA Precheck traveller flagged for having too many snacks!

I thought you all might be amused by something that happened to me the other day. I was flying out of SJC. When I went through TSA pre-check, they spent some time looking at the screen and then told me they needed to look through my briefcase. After the gentleman checked my bag and returned it to me, he told me it was flagged because I had a lot of snacks.

I was a little taken aback by that. I didn’t know that was a suspicious thing. It is true that when I fly, if I am given a package of pretzels or cookies or what have you, I often toss it into my briefcase so there were several flights worth of those. I sometimes toss in a packet or two of instant oatmeal, too, and they were in there. My hotel had given me a granola bar. I also had an apple in there. Admittedly, it had been a while since I had cleaned out the snacks so this was both embarrassing and humorous.

It gets better. I raced to the gate to see if I could get on an earlier flight and the gate agent could not have been nicer. The doors to the gate were already closed But he phoned the plane and they were going to let me on. I reached for my phone to text my ride to pick me up earlier, and it was nowhere to be found. I realized I left the phone at the check in counter downstairs, where I had stopped to ask about the possibility of getting on the earlier flight.

The lovely gentleman at the gate called the ticket counter and they confirmed they had my phone. I went racing downstairs to get it and of course had to go back through security.

Once again, TSA pre-check checked my briefcase because what could be more suspicious than a lady with snacks, except for a lady with snacks who has already been singled out once and then left the secured area to go downstairs and has come back?

Needless to say, I was unable to board the earlier flight. I only blame myself for that but being twice checked for snacks is, I think, pretty unusual. Or is it? Has this happened anyone else?