View Single Post
Old Mar 17, 18, 5:03 pm
dylanks

Programs: BA (GGL), AA (statusless), HH (Diamond);
I miss the days of commercial service into GCN. I think HP were to last to fly there in the early 90s. Between the high altitude, winds, and short runway, it was always a weight-restricted adventure.

The Boneyard is nice, and not too much further south is the Karchner caverns. But in summer, Sedona and Payson offer some of the best relatively nearby options that are not quite as hot (usually 5-15C less during the day and relatively chilly at night due to the higher altitude). The Grand Canyon doesn't offer much in the way of shade. Unless you plan to spend the day hiking into the canyon or are a photographer, it's difficult to find things to do for more than an hour unlike the Blue Mountains in Australia or Sedona in AZ.

Given that it's a natural wonder of the world, you'll spend most of your time in queue/traffic near the Grand Canyon, but I suppose everyone should see it once. There's also the much visited Petrified Forest National Park in the northeast that has its own interesting formations, and up near the four corners region and into Utah has some amazing rock formations.

Closer to the hotel, there's the Papago Park region which is only about a 10 minute drive and has some nice rocks, or Piestewa Peak if it's not a super warm day, or to the east there's a nice drive towards Saguro or Roosevelt Lakes that has a nice mix of rocks and cacti.

Last edited by dylanks; Mar 17, 18 at 5:10 pm