FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Revenue management JFK-LAX/SFO nonstops
View Single Post
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:06 am
jcatman

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Allusha
As a weekly flier on AA's JFK-LAX/SFO transcons I had the following observations/questions about their yield management:
  • AA seems to upgrade Y -> J to J2 availability the day before the flight it seems, based on my experiences. This makes it difficult to change flights when ticketed in J or to be rebooked on a different flight during irrops.
  • Why doesn't AA oversell J into the F cabin? Flights are frequently F7AXJ0. This would seem to be an additional revenue opportunity
  • As noted anecdotally here F can fill up with non-revs/mileage tickets rather than revenue passengers. Couldn't AA offer complimentary upgrades from J to F for CKs first?
<bolding mine>

Why? Aren't there enough perks for CK's already?

For some of us, the preferred way to fly in the F cabin is by using Business Extra upgrades or award redemptions. Those empty F seats provide us the opportunity to exercise that strategy.

In fact, I'm thankful that the ability to get into the F cabin exists. It's quiet and peaceful, and you have the opportunity to enjoy FFD at the LAX and JFK airports. The current combination of 3-cabin aircraft and superior lounges makes AA very attractive to some of us that travel transcontinental and like to have options for getting into the very front of the plane. YMMV.