FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Non-Stop Screaming/Crying Infant on International Flight
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:58 am
mvoight
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by travelerguru
I would like to know what the rest of you would do or how you would handle it once landed. I was on a JAL flight, partnered with AA recently. As the JAL flight was on the AA booking I guess AA would be the airline to contact although I contacted both.

JALs response: " As to answer your inquiry of compensation, we regret to inform you that we cannot meet your expectation. We do sympathize with your situation and understand the great deal of frustration you must have felt in this matter, but your understanding is highly appreciated "

AA's response is more comical and my followup pissed them off: "... Additionally, we, along with other airlines, do not discriminate against passengers regarding age. If parents wish to travel with their children, then they will be able to do so. My suggestion for the future, is if you are unhappy with your seat assignment, consult with the flight attendant to see if alternative seating arrangements can be made. " So I rebutted with something along the lines of... so if an adult cried and screamed for the entire flight would the airline discriminate against me? Or would the flight attendants have me in handcuffs and law enforcement waiting for me on the ground?.. It didn't go over very well with the AA customer service staff, but I don't care.

I had to tolerate this screaming kid in business class for four hours. The flight crew did nothing. The parents did nothing. The business class section on JAL is only 30 seats. 2-2-2. What I would like to know is since when do airlines even allow infants in business class? And since when would they tolerate such behavior? I am dumbfounded. Those business class tickets are expensive. I pay extra to avoid things like this plus the leg room, but not on this flight! Wow! And the answers from both airlines make me wonder. In addition right behind business class are the bassinet seats in economy class, and guess what? Another crying baby was sitting there, but that one was at least intermittent. Sorry to say it, but infants should not be allowed to fly unless there is a medical reason or the family is moving house. These people were just on a holiday. It is high time that airlines start locking up parents and children in there own little tiny soundproof room for the duration of a flight. I am sick of this situation. AAs stupidity is dumbfounding, talk to the flight attendant for another seat, like it would have done any good... As I said above, business class is small, and the infant should not have been there to begin with. Says me.. But not sure what JALs policy is.. I suspect, nothing...

What would you guys do? Drop it and forget it? They are obviously not going to compensate me, I have tried, to no avail, would the Dept. of Transportation like to hear about this? Skytrax? I don't know....
What would you expect the flight crew to do, gag the child? And, what was AA supposed to do about a child on a JAL flight?
Earplugs and ear covering noise cancelling headphones generally help with this.
Are you expecting DOT to ban children from business class?
Other than changing seats, it is unclear what you expect the airline to do. They aren't going to ban children