FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - White Day and Cherry Blossom 2018
View Single Post
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:33 pm
freecia

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
AKA - omiyage. One of those cultural things that make us so different.
I routinely buy omiyage-souvenir hybrid for my co-workers and many also do the same. We bring food/snacks communally shared which is offered in the spirit of "Thanks for taking care of my remaining workload while I was out" (omiyage) and "I'd love to share something tasty or interesting to share my experience" (souvenir) for longer international trips, not a random long weekend or a trip to a Disney park. People don't get upset if there isn't any omiyage though I have also mentioned especially great hometown snacks or sweets prior to an overseas trip home, as I think it is prudent to let people know what was appreciated if they're going to lug something back. I've also brought back some sugar free chocolate from Columbia which lingered for several weeks as it was not-to-our-taste (the learning was buy a small amount of a couple different things, taste them, then gift-able amounts of the best option if possible). Wrapping/presentation for the communal table doesn't really matter much though it is noted when it is impressive (Japan sets a high gift wrapping bar). I work near SJC for an American tech company and several of my co-workers are from various parts of Asia or American born variants.

A friend was a JET over 10 years ago and still exchanges Christmas gifts with his host family. He is not someone you want to get in a gift exchange war with as he will go to battle applying Japanese gifting rules. In fact, I have received gifts from him only after being told that "we're going by American gift rules" so I should not reciprocate under obligation and he does not want a return gift, or to be pressured into accepting a return gift. He just thought I'd like it and wanted it to be a finite gift transaction.

Last edited by freecia; Mar 14, 2018 at 1:50 pm