FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Itinerary planning - Cinque Terre to Tuscany
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:40 am
JMN57

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Akcaver
To further enforce this point, when my girlfriend (now wife) did our backpacking tour in 2010, we were surprised at how long the train took to get from the CT to Florence SMN. I think it took a half day on the train. We also stayed 4 nights in Vernazza, which we didnt think was enough time to see all we wanted.

Wed Cinque Terre (do an activity other than just walking between towns, at least take the ferry between them!)
Thu train from CT to Florence (2.5 to 3 hours). Dont stop in Pisa. Pick up car at Firenze SMN, drive to spot in Rural-ish tuscany. (Do this at your leisure, but youve only had one day in the CT!)

You havent stated what you and your 3 friends like to do, or have as the primary point of the trip.

Asking where to stay in Tuscany is another thread, that has been discussed in too many threads to count.
Couple of points

1) More data that illustrates that it just takes time to get into CT. To put it in perspective, I have a house in Pontremoli (I am there right now) and it is 33 mi/55 km to Riomaggiore. Not far but an hour by car or train (if I catch the right train/connection in La Spezia). I'm close enough that I can go for lunch but the train takes the same time as to Parma or Pisa.

2) I'd recommend doing CT after Tuscany as Perche proposed. I think it's more efficient. But if you do go to CT first and then want to go to the Tuscan countryside, I would recommend you DO NOT train to Firenze. What's the point of taking a train into a busy, crowded city to pick up a car and drive out. If you pick the right trains you can get from Vernazza to Viareggio in an hour and there are a number of car rental companies there. From Viareggio train station it's minutes to the autostrada . Get a car there and its two hours to Siena. You avoid Florence, ZTL, traffic. You'll be sipping on a drink in Siena instead of sitting in traffic.

3) do tell what your interests are. I think a lot of people with knowledge hold back because they know what they like but are smart enough to realize that their preferences aren't others. I know I don't want to sound like an a** telling people what to do. I have no idea what OP would like and why they are going to those areas. Do you want to hike CT or do you want to have a nice meal, sit and have an aperitivo and watch the sunset? Why Tuscan countryside? Vineyards? History/towns/architecture?