FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC Sydney Master Thread [merged] - after January 2011
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:10 am
KathyMarie

Programs: BAEC, IHG Plat
I was here for 5 nights last week, arrived saturday - they had a private event in the Club so it was closed. As I had only booked a Club room for 2 nights of a 5 night stay (and they had been quick to remind me that I was *only* getting 2 nights' access unless I paid an extra AUD200 per night) I got shirty with them about it and they allowed me Club access on the Monday night as well. They did seem to struggle with the fact I had separate bookings across the stay - one using an Amb cert, 2 nights' cash rate, and 1 night on points - I got 6 emails in total before checking in for my first night, and numerous more during the actual stay, and then they were confused about which nights I still had to pay for on check-out. So much for the hotel simply linking the bookings. They did allow me to stay in the same room (Eastern harbour view, upgraded from City View) for the duration, instead of having to shift rooms, so that was welcome - thought the maid did seem confused to find me still in the room at 10am after the first 2 nights and was asking me if I had extended my stay.

They were very charming on check-in, and I got an apology for the Club being closed, but I didn't get offered a choice between welcome points or a drink - I was simply assigned the points - and my in-room AMB gift never did turn up despite querying it.
I couldn't be bothered to keep raising it (it would only have been fruit, and really, once you're asking after a gift it defeats the purpose).

I enjoyed the views from the Club lounge but it didn't seem well-used past dinner time - Sunday night I was the last one out at 10pm or so, and they seemed very keen to get rid of me. I never did manage to try the cooked-to-order breakfast as I simply didn't have enough time by the time they got around to offering it - they would offer a drink and then speedily disappear. They weren't great at accommodating dietary requirements - I had normal milk brought to me twice after requesting soya milk. Though they did suggest I call them sunday evening before going up to ask them to prepare me a dairy-free warm canape, and they had margarine and soya milk out on the breakfast buffet monday morning and improved labelling of what contained diary. That should be standard, though!

I enjoyed my stay - the location is great, and I enjoyed the view from my room and the Club, but access is definitely not worth AUD 200 to a non-drinker who is also dairy intolerant - or anyone with a specific dietary requirement.

Overall I wasn't blown away by my stay - it certainly doesn't make me want to renew ambassador membership and I probably won't bother paying extra to stay at an IC in future on a leisure stay.