FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA searching laptops/cell phones before DOMESTIC flights
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:27 am
Boggie Dog
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder

That is what I expect of most of these reports, but I am also aware of incidents where the TSA screening process has been used to migrate passenger equipment into the hands of other government agencies for surveillance purposes and then the same or substitute equipment was placed back into the possession of the target passengers. In other words, our government has used the TSA’s administrative searches for purposes that go beyond general passenger and passenger belongings screening for restricted weapons, explosives and incendiaries. Not all of these extraordinary actions involving TSA screening involved FISA/FISC, but some definitely have.

I’ve seen the ETD process take ten minutes and be out of passenger-owner’s sight, even for empty baby bottles. The process from removing the item for ETD, to using and completing the ETD and giving back the item can take ten minutes at time.
I've been subject to ETD testing myself and it didn't take 10 minutes for the ETD test. The physical inspection was done in my view and the ETD portion of the inspection took less than a minute. Swab an item, put the test strip in the machine and results are returned in seconds. Also my stuff wasn't removed from my sight, the inspection and ETD test was done right where I was standing, in full view of the TSA screener.

When TSA starts taking travelers items out of their sight that raises a major RED FLAG. TSA does an Administrative Search which is a public search.