FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "May I call you by your first name, sir?"
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:09 am
PETER01
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Just had to make two calls which were routed to the Indian Call Centre. Both agents asked me this question, which I've also been asked by other ICCs for Three Mobile and such like (who knows, maybe by the same agents).

Is this a term of endearment in India? I just find it intensely annoying, as I find that asking me whether I want to pretend to be their friend or a bit of a dick is both in itself a discourtesy and waste of time, and I and tend to just snap back that they call me whatever they like. This genuinely is my attitude in this matter, but I still find the question very annoying, because for the rest of the call, they either don't address me by anything at all (as a normal person would), or they insert my first name in every goddamn sentence they speak. Are they actually paid more the longer the call drags on? That would explain a lot.
My own view is your overthinking this way far too much and it's really no big deal. The agent at the other end is probably trained to say that and has to say that so there really is no point having a go at him/her and complain to BA itself. Some UK companies definitely use this one liner at the start.

This thread reminded me of this one which was quite funny in ways.

I didn't spend 6 years in Evil Medical School to be called *Mr* Evil.