FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dual US-EU Citizen Baby with only French Passport - Flying to Mexico this week? HELP!
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:00 pm
petitemarmotte

Dual US-EU Citizen Baby with only French Passport - Flying to Mexico this week? HELP!

This is a silly situation I've gotten myself into:

My 4-month-old baby has dual US-French citizenship, as does her father. She was born in the US, I am a US citizen, and we have been in the US since she was born. We were able to get her French passport right away, but the US birth certificate takes 3 months to get, and we don't have a US passport for her yet. (Nor had we started that process.)

We just booked a spontaneous last-minute vacation to Mexico. I assumed it would be fine for her to travel with her French passport, but I have just discovered (we are supposed to leave tomorrow!!) that the law says all US citizens must travel in and out of the country with their US passport.

Even so, I applied for an ESTA waiver for her online, and it was approved...

Do we have to cancel/postpone our trip? Or can we get an emergency passport for her at the consulate in Mexico if she's never had a passport before (which would take up a day of our vacation, yuck)? Or will they let her in with a French passport plus ESTA plus US birth certificate?