FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - staying on the Fairmont Gold floor
View Single Post
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:02 pm
CanadaDH

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I've stayed on the gold floor at a number of properties... Royal York, Queen Elizabeth, Chateau Frontenac, Chateau Laurier, Chateau Whistler, Chateau Lake Louise, Banff Springs, Tremblant.

Of those, my absolute favourite is Fairmont Tremblant. There are only 20 rooms and suites on the Gold floor, so you actually do get that tranquil feeling, and the service levels are very high. I will only ever stay on the Gold floor at Fairmont Tremblant. The fact that I've never been able to use a certificate there doesn't matter, and the price differential is absolutely worth it to me. It is our second most frequented Fairmont property.

I also quite enjoyed Gold at the Chateau Whistler. They only have half the rooms on the floor designated as Gold, so the lounge isn't overrun, and it's also set up in different sections so it has a smaller and calmer feeling to it. I would also pay to stay there on all future visits.

On opposite side of the spectrum, I stay at Banff Springs often, but I don't ever plan to book Gold there again. It's just way too large, with way too many rooms being designated Gold. It's much more pleasant to sit and eat in the Rundle Lounge or other restaurants on the property.

I used to like the Gold product at Chateau Lake Louise. Since they have expanded both the lounge and the number of rooms with access, I believe they've crossed over that threshold where it's become so busy that it's no longer a lounge I care to use (although, not as bad as Banff). On our last visit, we loved the Signature Gold Suite, but really didn't get much enjoyment out of the Gold lounge. The lounge is beautifully decorated, and the breakfast quality is good, provided you can actually find an open table to eat at. If guests have to hover around at breakfast, waiting for other guests to leave or tables to be cleaned, you are simply not providing the service that the Fairmont Gold product is marketed to be. It's still my most frequented and favoured hotel, but I just don't care for Gold so much.

Those are the ones that stand out for me, both the positive and the negative.

Last edited by CanadaDH; Mar 9, 2018 at 2:52 pm Reason: Spelling correction