FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does AA Know How Often You Fly Other Airlines?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:26 am
golfingboy
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Here's a link to the Skift article that the FlyerTalk blurb references.

https://skift.com/2018/03/07/america...-a-competitor/

Here are some excerpts:

What we strive to do is use pretty clever data and analytics looking for customers that we have a pretty good hypothesis are high-value customers in another airline’s program. we’ve had significant success on doing that for some time.

I don’t know whose program they may be a part of.

Emphasis mine.

What we’re now doing is looking at, here are people who have left American. What were the attributes that we saw that led up to that? And then we mirror that on top of existing customers to say — I’m making these things up — if lose your bag more than twice, then your likelihood of defecting goes up by X percent. We take all of those different factors and we look at our at-risk list. Then we can go out and proactively talk to those customers, making sure we’ve appropriately compensated them.
Nice job piecing the article hitting all the main points. With big data you can really leverage to successfully identify trends, analyze probabilities, and take educated "bets" which will usually result in being right, or close to right, most of the time.

However, AA won't know if I am booking a Delta trip with my AMEX Platinum. But they can use data to analyze my trends with them [AA] and if they notice a negative deviation in my AA travel patterns then they can piece the puzzle together.

Credit card companies do sell aggregate data to many different firms, but I am somewhat confident its illegal to sell data on individual level based on my uneducated understanding.

Last edited by golfingboy; Mar 9, 2018 at 7:45 am