FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hertz - Left me Stranded!!!
View Single Post
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:24 am
cblaisd
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Drdikk
...BBB never responded to my Hertz complaint filing.
Posting a review is not enough. You have to actually file a complaint against the business with the BBB. And then the BBB always responds and is very good about keeping you posted about the status of the complaint.

Originally Posted by TerryK
Lesson learned: Avoid being put on DNR list.
^

Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
...If you did the latter, its no surprise Hertz added you to a DNR.
Originally Posted by bemis
A more general lesson - do not issue a chargeback (i.e, call your bank and dispute the charges) against any company you want to ever do business with in the future. Talk to their customer service, escalate, complain on twitter, etc.. all fine.

But a chargeback burns all your bridges ...
Yes to these. A chargeback should be reserved almost always for situations where your card has been used fraudulently by a third-party.

Originally Posted by Drdikk
Not sure how to avoid being put on something called the DNR list....
Don't do chargebacks.

And just a point of perspective: I've rented dozens of cars, from five different companies, over the last several years. I've had occasion to be annoyed with each company at one time or another, and the majority of those companies did some sort of incorrect charge. In every case, escalating the issue directly with the company via Twitter resulted in satisfaction. Sometimes it took some back and forth (some companies put their best reps on Twitter and truly empower them, some do not) and some escalation. A chargeback is only for a company with whom you don't want to do business again or where your card was used fraudulently.

If you had gone this route and gotten no satisfaction, then the next step is either an actual BBB complaint filed (although the BBB is fairly toothless in the end and given Hertz's current ratings with the BBB probably wouldn't much care) or a complaint to the state's attorney general or consumer protection agency where the rental-that-was-not-a-rental occurred.