FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:44 am
antichef

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
OT - Advice to a fellow FTer

Originally Posted by layz
Some people may prefer the direct flight even in W but those who want to take the cheaper option should be allowed to take it. I know given the choice I'd choose to set off earlier for a longhaul trip in comfort. In that circumstance it would also let me discover if I'd find the EK bling as overpowering as it looks in the publicity!
Dear layz, allow me to give you a few data reference points - it is not overpowering if done on a night flight! I have posted this elsewhere I think.

My travel requires LHR-NBO-LHR travel, usually "day trips" flying back within 24 hours of arrival. The client pays for BA PE for this flight because of the duration although they have an all-Y policy for their staff, but contractors like me can buy whatever airline and class we want and invoice them for the BA W rate and pay the difference ourselves. The BA email quote is ideal for this.

My firm* allows me to travel at whatever class I think suits my travel needs. As I found that BA PE for NBO-LHR for one trip was only £20 cheaper than EK 1st class for the overnight flight it took about 4 milliseconds to make the decision. I had a 777ER in 1st from NBO-DXB, after dinner I slept. 3 hours transfer in the 1st wing in DXB where I endured a shower, massage and dining. 1st class suite on the A380 to LHR, slept all the way. Then 100mile Merc S class limo transfer to my destination, slept some of that too. Not a bad deal for £20.

Done it a few more times since. Sometimes also get the 777ER with suites from NBO-DXB. I have only ever flown 1st class with EK - always at night!!

*I am the Managing Director and principal shareholder - never have a problem with getting my travel policy agreed at the AGM