FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA to introduce Wheatley's vodka onboard, summer 2018 & now Tito's back May 2023
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:04 am
luke5111

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
Originally Posted by QBK
  1. Finally, what puts me over the edge here is "...as is used to produce legendary bourbons such as Pappy Van Winkle and Weller." Seriously? I mean, I like the Weller line. I have a bottle of Special Reserve downstairs as I write this. Shoot, if I wasn't about to crack open a new bottle of Maker's 46, I'd go pour myself a splash of Weller as soon as I finished this rant! But... a bottle of Weller runs about $21.99. It's the best $20 bourbon you can buy (AFAIK), and to be fair it is wheated (like Pappy), but... a bottle of Pappy will run you roughly $2,000-3,000 on the secondary market right now. This is like saying "Ford Motor company, maker of famous automobiles like the GT and the Fiesta."

I only heard about Pappy's recently, i believe it was a WSJ article that mentioned it. So, then I'm at Christmas with my daughter and her BF and she didn't want us buying Christmas gifts for him as he'd feel obliged to reciprocate. Found ourselves at a bar on Christmas eve that had various Pappys so I ordered him the 15 year?? I think, and his eyes just lit up. He'd never had a chance to try it before but he was thrilled with it. I then did the research and found that the retail is fairly significant but I bought for $60 for a two ounce pour that just delighted him. Felt bad about taking a sip of it but next time I'll get him one of the even older ones. Best Christmas gift I could have got this guy, he was thrilled with it. Slightly off topic but so is much of this conversation.