FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA employees shocked: (qtrly performance) Bonuses replaced with lottery (on "pause")
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:17 pm
cerealmarketer

This board is hilarious...

"Manage from good to great - that'll fix it" (using a book to run a company...)

then...

"Consultants are bad...need someone who can manage with common sense (because someone who needs a book to run the place is going to do better than one who needs consultants)

and...

"this is a terrible decision - it will ruin the company"

only to see it reversed incredibly quickly

now...

"we can't complain about the policy now that's fixed, so let's make sure they show the guy the door..."

Good grief.

I don't know the guy. Didn't care much for HP or AA as airlines, whatever hand he had in decisions at those places. All I can judge is he's a shrewd scheduling and pricing guy who knows he needs well lubed ops.

Maybe over his head with the front line management / consumer product piece.

But in no place for me to judge his ability to do his job from the outside.

Looks to me they had a cost cut they were trying to solve for. This was the poorly received attempt from HR.

Yet another chapter in the 30+ year UA saga that transcends *every management team that has tried to touch it*.

Even Gerald Greenwald, the epitome of 'good to great' type CEOs that gave them a few good years after the Steven Wolf era was smart enough to know he couldn't keep it up, and left UA at the peak in 1997, only to have it descend into chaos just a few years later.