FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Cancelling Flights Pre-Storm
View Single Post
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:22 am
jpsj
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
AA Cancelling Flights Pre-Storm

Last Thursday, I was traveling MCI--Phl-SYR. I got a note the day before saying due to weather, I might want to change my travel plans. I checked the weather, and PHL and SYR were anticipating a storm late Thursday and then Friday. It so happens that SYR got a foot of snow and then PHL and the east coast had terrible rains/winds. I ended up going earlier and traveled MCI-CLT-SYR.

My question is about cancelling flights. Turned out the MCI-PHL flight had not problems. However, AA canceled all of their evening flights to SYR--WITHOUT SIGNIFICANT WEATHER. They were anticipating the weather on Friday. I almost did not change my flight as the weather looked fine--and it was. However, I would have been stuck in Philly for a couple of days as AA knew they were going to cancel the late night flights to upstate and central NY. I was grateful I changed my flight--which meant taking the first morning flight at 6am instead of 4pm from MCI. However, I would have liked it if AA had been clear about this happening.

Those in the know---how soon before does AA know that they will make a move like this? Even as of that Thursday afternoon, they hadn't cancelled the SYR flight--it only occurred about 1 hour beforehand. Again, this seems to be a systemwide decision. As a traveler, I wouldn't have known they were going to do this and just lucked out.