Old Mar 5, 18, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 79,691
Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
Not relevant to the OP since he's going to work for a company but in the US you have to make a distinction between private and public universities (public in the US has a different meaning than in the UK). I have seen the travel policies for some private universities and travel in J is allowed for flights longer than 6 hours if the money to pay for the travel does not come from grants from government agencies. There are fields where it's easy to get research grants from companies and if the contract does not specify that travel in J is not allowed, professors are allowed to travel in J.
OT, but this is an oversimplification. Faculty at some but not all state (public) universities in the USA would be considered to be state employees and generally subject to state government travel policies, but this isn't true for all state universities. Some allow longhaul J travel. OTOH, some private universities insist that tickets be booked through their travel office or travel software, using the cheapest flights available and staying in preferred hotels, even if there's an official conference hotel at a somewhat different location. The university might or might not insist on a preferred airline or use of LCCs where applicable.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote