Old Mar 4, 18, 9:26 pm
VaBeachGirl

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
IC Costa Rica - San Jose

IC Costa Rica - San Jose
Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes, for the most part

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked King Deluxe, received King Bed Club Suite.
When the hotel processed the upgrade that morning, they did not keep the same rate I had booked, though. They changed the rate to the rack rate for the room. Got it resolved when I checked in, but it took a while and it's a good thing I had the email confirmation handy.

How are the rooms?
The suite had two rooms with a sitting area that had a couch, coffee table, desk, minibar. The bedroom was normal size. The room I received had views of a construction sight.

In the bathroom, there is a shower, tub, separate toilet stall. Agraria toiletries. Not the greatest lighting in the bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
Really nice! It's on the second floor and has an outside seating area that overlooks the pool.

Great food during the 6-8pm cocktail hour. Several hot entrees, a variety of cheese and cold cuts, different salads and amazing ceviche, hot soup, several desserts. Enough to make dinner out of it. Drinks are not self serve, though and it was pretty busy, so sometimes it took a while to get a waiters attention for drinks.
Breakfast was all self serve food, nothing cooked to order. Scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, a variety of breads, pastries and cheese, lots of fruit, cereal, yogurt.

Did you receive a welcome gift?
Awesome selection of fruit, 2 bottles of water and a small box of Costa Rican chocolate.

How was the minibar?
Small bottles of red and white wine (Barefoot brand - first time I've seen that brand in an IC minibar!). No champagne or sparkling wine. 6 beers, only one can of local beer. 4 mini bottles of whiskey, one local whiskey, a 375 ml bottle of Bacardi. Soda, Perrier, etc

What was good and what was bad?

-Good:
- A beautiful pool area and the hotel has a very resort like feel
- Across the street from a mall with a big grocery store
-- Awesome lounge
-- There is a spa and several restaurants
​​​​-- Good location in Escazu with inexpensive Uber rides to the airport and downtown San Jose. Ubers were always nearby, too
- Separate tower and check in for Club guests

-Bad
-- I arrived at the hotel at noon and the room wasn't cleaned yet (even after checking off the before 3pm check-in to make sure they were aware). I waited about an hour and a 45 minutes for the room to be ready. For an RA, I though that was a little unsat, considering we should have 8am check in.
- the fact that they adjusted the room rate to a suite rack rate and I had to take the time to get it straightened out

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
Yes

Would you return?
Yes