FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:56 am
jeffcarp

Thank you for the tip on ensuring that the fare class properly credits my AAdvantage account. On the AA partner section of the website, I see that there is a very reduced mile chart for any economy class less than Y. But then I'm confused by this note "Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Qatar will earn AAdvantageŽ award miles, Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) according to the American mileage accrual chart."

When I search ORD - DOH on the AA website and use the "American Airlines" filter for the flights, it shows me no options. If I search for ORD - DEL or ORD - BOM then it does show me flights on BA through LHR. Both flights have an AA flight number and say "Operated by British Airways." So in that case, it seems like it meets the requirement to get full AA miles credit instead of the drastically reduced mileage credit if they were BA-ticketed and marketed flights. Am I catching on to how this works? Does this mean that there is no QR flights that are ticketed and marketed as an AA flight, so no way to earn full AA mileage credit flying QR?

It seems like the only way that I can do this and get the most flights with the most AA credit is to book RT DSM - ORD, RT ORD -BOM and RT BOM-AMD as separate tickets. Am I asking for trouble by doing that in BOM?

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
By all means use whichever airline website that provides you with the best routing/pricing outcome. Simply put your airline and frequent flyer number in place as part of the ticketing process.

Having said that you need to have completed your homework on what fare classes (in economy) will properly credit to your desired program. There are a couple of serious "gotchas" (eg. anything below H class on CX does not earn on AA) As well google flights might very well present alternative flight options that you might not have considered. Consider starting from ORD and paying for DSM-ORD separately.

I don't remember any serious issues with QR when I flew DOH-HKG in the Y cabin.... I'll have more experience with QR's Y cabin in a couple of weeks. :-(

Happy wandering
Fred