Old Mar 4, 18, 6:41 am
hockeyinsider
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
I recently had XXX-DTW-LAX-OGG.

At T-5, DTW-LAX had 3 open seats in F. On Q fares. Magically, me and companion cleared DTW-LAX on a Monday morning at T-5 leaving 1 open seat (nothing cleared at the gate)...
I think with some exceptions -- Christmas, New Year's, Presidents' Day weekend -- that upgrades to/from Hawaii are much like upgrades to/from the Caribbean in that they are very easy. Yes, of course there are periods when cabins are sold-out, but because Hawaii is so far away I wager that most people go for a week and probably travel on a Friday or Saturday. So, a mid-week flight to/from Hawaii is probably easier to upgrade than a weekend flight or the red-eye Sunday night from Honolulu.

I've had two separate flights departing Honolulu within the last year where first-class went out with at least 1 empty seat.

I'm going back to Hawaii in exactly 5 months from now, in August. Yes, I realize the seat map isn't the best indicator but for the sake of discussion, right now, there are 14 empty seats in first-class on the 757. Only 6 seats, including mine, are taken. I'm sure the cabin will become less empty between now and August, but I suspect because going to Hawaii is such a big deal for most people that a majority of passengers book their trip (likely a vacation or honeymoon) at least five months in advance. So I'd guess that by 1-2 months out, what you see if probably close to what the final number will be, absent upgrades or first-class monetization.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Mar 4, 18 at 6:46 am