FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lunch Prices????
View Single Post
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:57 pm
catcher1

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
[left]
As I said, the cadecas currently only trade in CUC. The official cadecas are all the same.
Varadero is very popular with Canadian package tourists, so I'm sure the cadeca there is well supplied with CAD.

Do the math before you convert USD to CAD. With fees, it may not be worth the time and effort for the small savings, particularly if you won't spend much. (Changing to Euros, then to CUC, the 'savings' is about $40 on $1000--not sure about CAD)

I find I don't have an appetite in the extreme heat and humidity, so I rarely bother with lunch, lunch places, or street food. A nice drink, on the other hand......
"Emerging markets" have little to do with the quality and variety of food in my experience. I have eaten tasty and very well at modest places in many developing countries. Best of luck with "local food in all its forms" in Cuba. If you've ever eaten Cuban food in the U.S., you're very likely to taste a big difference. Products are limited for locals. After living through the lacks of the Special Period in the 90s, they are happy to have full stomachs, no questions asked about what is filling them or where it came from. Cooking is often not very good, although the wife at my casa particular in Havana is pretty good with a few basics, and not very varied because of what locals can/cannot get. . But I myself am tired of returning home feeling faintly unhealthy from what I've consumed over a couple of weeks there. The restaurants that require advance reservations are popular with tourists for a reason, and even some of those haven't been very good. I have found a few good simple roast pork sandwiches and the like, though, at "local" lunch places. YMMV
I disagree with some of your comments on the food, at least in Havana. I have seen great change over the years (I have been going since 2000, am there often and have my own place--complicated transaction but doable). Today there are many excellent restaurants, with a wide variety of food selections and with pleasant atmosphere, at reasonable prices (entrees under 10CUC). Unless you are strapped for cash, for Pete's sake you're in wonderful Cuba and take advantage of what it has to offer. A few Havana examples: In Habana Vieja, Chacon 162, Cinco Esquinas and La Farmacia are reasonable, have outdoor tables, a variety of customers from all over, sometimes musicians show up, Cubans walk by and befriend you. (Do not accept "recommendations" on the street to eat at La Familia. These people get a commission, you pay a higher price, and the food is not good.) Outside the old quarter: VistaMar, overlooking the water; Castropol, facing Havana Bay; and for a well-worth splurge, San Cristobal in Centro Habana, a 6-8 CUC taxi ride and you'll be dining in a beautiful environment, with excellent cuisine--Obama dined there.