FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:49 am
Starship73

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The way company travel is booked makes a big difference, there must be 2 dozen ways of doing it. Here are just a few examples to highlight the issues:
1) Large company has inhouse travel, a multi-million dollar spend on BA, including access to BT/IT (bulk/inclusive Tours) ticketing. It pay via immediate direct debit or invoicing
2) Medium company outsources medium travel spend to CWT, Amex etc, with direct GDS access, payment by corporate credit card typically. Maybe has some deals with BA and different deals with other oneworld airlines.
3) Small company books travel on corporate credit card but it's in the name of the traveller, and is booked via BA.com
4) Very small company gets traveller to book themselves and claim back.

You won't get POUGs on 1 or 2, perhaps 3 too. You can't have an AUP on 1. You may be able to UUA 2, 3, 4. Now 4 and perhaps 3 is effectively the best option in this area since (e.g. you can call within 24 hours of booking and upgrade to WTP for just the fare difference and no change fee).

Essentially it's all about ticket ownership, Know Your Customer, and whether the fares are public/published or not. Option 4 is the only one guaranteed to have ticket ownership with BA, known BAEC customer and published fares. A BT/IT ticket is at the other extreme - perhaps ticketed on AA, perhaps a BT/IT fare, not published, payment detached from the traveller.

And as I say there are dozens of variants in between.
Slightly intrigued by this... I work for a company inside the top 20 on the FTSE by market cap. I book all my flights through the corporate TA website and yet myself and colleagues are regularly offered POUGs in MMB (and often take advantage of them). We can also use Avios to upgrade by calling BA - just means they say that BA is taking control of the booking from the TA. Has never been an issue...