FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA to introduce Wheatley's vodka onboard, summer 2018 & now Tito's back May 2023
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:27 am
PHLGovFlyer

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I am not a vodka expert either, but I listened to an excerpt today of Marketplace Money about Vodka that mentioned that Vodka as a matter of law (regulation?) has to be

"‘neutral spirits so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color."

(Title 27, Section 5.22 of the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Code)

I think this is the episode; I queued the full podcast for future enjoyment. For now I will assume that United is replacing one non-distinctive liquid with another one. And I'll take shelter awaiting the flaming from resident Vodka aficionados (again, remember, I am not a vodka expert/drinker)
Not flaming...

While the regulations state that vodka should be without distinctive taste, there definitely are differences that result from the ingredients and the processes used to make it. To me, vodka made from corn (e.g. Titos, Platinum, Prairie) has a distinct sweetness. Vodka made from sugar cane (e.g. Ocean) has even more sweetness along with a slight caramel finish. Potato vodka (e.g. Chopin, Luksusowa) has milder sweetness along with a slightly oily finish. The one vodka made from grapes I've tasted (Ciroc) definitely has a grape/wine flavor. Wheat vodkas vary considerably from light, clean, and almost flavorless (e.g. Grey Goose, Belvedere) to heavy and oily (less expensive brands). In the end, it's really a matter of personal preference. I prefer potato based vodka, while my wife likes wheat based vodkas. YMMV!

I hadn't heard of Wheatly Vodka before seeing this thread. However, the other vodka made by Buffalo Trace is "Platinum" which, for its price, is quite good as a vodka for mixers. I'm also a fan of their Bourbons.