FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:36 am
Raffles
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
In the real world I would suggest the majority of business travelers are in Y. It clearly varies industry to industry, but many are Y only. The concept of negotiating a J only clause in my contract of employment, would result in any of my potential employers laughing me out of the office & withdrawing my job offer on the grounds of candidate stupidity! I sometimes get J on business but more often than not it's Y. I've done Manila from London for 3 days in Y & survived. I've even flown to Singapore from London on a Sunday arriving early Monday AM, gone to a meeting then flown back that night in Y. Again I didn't die.
J only contracts still exist in the City - I had one for 16 years (everyone got it, even the PAs) - and my assistant has one now.

That said I might take the £24k extra if it could be applied to travel and therefore go untaxed. One trip a month would be a wash.

A friend who is an IT consultant has a ‘highest cabin’ clause written into his contracts, ie F if available. People are happy to pay it.