FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge
View Single Post
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:19 am
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
thanks....what makes the AM lounge bad? I've heard mostly positive things about it? With our flights, it' a 4:50p arrival from ord and a 2:00a departure for JNB....ideally I'd rather not sleep during the layover so that i can be naturally tired for the flight to jnb. Not sure if the STPC would be of benefit other than having a bit of privacy and hotel room. Thanks for the ideas.
Just discount the comment about AM being a bad lounge: in many respects it's not so good as it was, but it still offers levels of comfort and sustenance you don't find in many other lounges. Indeed, there are far, far worse lounges at DOH itself.

But at the end of the day it's just an airport lounge. Not sure what you expect, but you'll be able to get a shower, have something to eat and drink, relax, maybe even lie down.

An alternative is the airport hotel if you want to sleep (or swim!), but it's very expensive.

Otherwise it's easy to get out of the airport, into an Uber and get to Souq Waqif. The Souq will give you a comfortably sanitised taste of "arabia" with shops, cafes, restaurants and .... a falcon hospital. Uber/taxi should be less than $20 round-trip.

The Museum of Islamic Art would be an alternative, but i think last admissions (free!) are 18:30 and it closes at 19:00. It's more or less across the Corniche from the Souq - that "more or less" contains a measure of confusion, but people are extraordinarily helpful, so just keep asking for directions.

If your trip is soon, the weather is an absolute delight at the moment, perfect for evening walks on the Corniche or around the MIA park. We even had rain yesterday