FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Venice OR Bologna?
View Single Post
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:52 am
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
You see, I was right. In bologna they just eat meat, sausage, and lard! Give me the healthy diet of Venice, that you find off of the beaten pathways in local, non-touristy neighborhoods, eating seafood that was just caught, with vegetables that were just picked on the island of Sant'Erasmo, an island in the lagoon right off of Venice, that just arrived in small motor boats driven by the farmer, who docks their boat around sunrise and brings the produce to the restaurant to be cooked that night. I'd rather eat like that than eat a slice of a giant cow leg that has been hanging from the ceiling for a few years and seen in the window at a typical Bolognese salumeria. People have different tastes, but when I had to be in Emilia-Romagna for a while (Modena, Bologna, Parma), I practically starved, because I cannot live on sausage, shavings of pig or cow leg, and lard alone.

Once at a small restaurant in Bologna, they were about to put a giant spoonful of lard in some soup that I ordered and I asked them, "Can you please to put that lard in my soup?" They said, "No, the soup must have lard." One time, they brought me something that looked like a huge chunk butter to put on something. I know they have butter in Bologna, but I was suspicious and just before I spread it on something, I became suspicious and I asked, "What the heck is this?" And the waiter said, "Pig lard, of course." They expected me to eat a piece of pig lard that was the same size as a stick of butter for an appetizer.

I'll take the fresh food of Venice, just don't eat near Piazza San Marco, or the Rialto Bridge.