FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WAS [Rockville]-NYP-BOS [South Station]- BOS [North]-POR
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:04 pm
TrojanHorse
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Question WAS [Rockville]-NYP-BOS [South Station]- BOS [North]-POR

I haven't taken Amtrak in well over a decade. I have to believe it has changed a lot. I don't even have a AGR account anymore - I had the old one where I would use my old Diners Club to dump into Amtrak and then move those out to an airline FF program way back when. Do I/Should I even bother to sign up again, is there any advantage too? I likely won't be taking another Amtrak trip in the next 36 months before they expire. The 175 points hardly seem worth the effort.

So as the subject title states ideally I'd like to go from Rockville to NY Penn [stay 2 days in NYC] then go to Boston [stay one night in BOS] and then go to Portland Maine [end of trip] - side note, I was all set to drive but the other half wants the train. So the train it is. We will fly back.

There are four of us - all adults according to Amtrak

I don't see where any of the discounts apply at least as shown on the website.

First issue - it doesn't seem to price this out of Rockville but it does out of WAS. Why can't I price this Rockville to WAS union station and north but only from Union Station? I just don't want to drive to DC. I have a place near Rockville to leave the car.

I threw in estimated dates in July for this trip including the stopovers. It appears that I can do this trip for $696 in total for the four of us if I purchase by segment. I found this to be less than I thought so right there I'm happy.

On that note, it appears I must buy by the segment vs one ticket straight through where we all get on and off at the stops listed in the title. Would that be true?

Business Class vs Reserved Coach - looks like these are the same seats just a separate car and maybe a few free soft drinks. I'd upsell if the seats were bigger but not if its the same as a coach seat. Is it the same seat as in coach?

Having Wifi is crucial with two teens on the trip as well. I presume all trains have wifi?

Any other hints on making this trip more fun/enjoyable - referring to the train part - ha