FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Feels like forever since we had a promo
View Single Post
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:12 pm
lwildernorva

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Donna49
Fair enough. I just never really cared for anything other than than the stay-based choice points promos, so if there were any, I never noticed. But, yes, other promos have existed. It has always been the 8000 choice points for a 2 separate stay promo that attracted me, and I am beginning to think we will not see that promo anymore.
Sorry if my tongue-in-cheek use of "au contraire" might have been misunderstood as pouncing. I'm also concerned about the lack of a stay-based promo and was hoping to point out just how lame the current promos are. Choice has been my primary hotel program for several years now--so much so that one year I qualified for Diamond status off of 75 paid nights without any mattress runs.

In the last few months, however, it appears that they have altered their normal promo schedule. I think there is good reason to speculate that Choice would like to change its promotion paradigm, but let me emphasize I have no connections to Choice corporate. I'm just making some assumptions based on fewer hotels in the 8K redemption range, a dynamic pricing technique that undermines an 8K redemption at certain times of the week where a hotel might offer an 8K for several nights but then go to higher amounts on the weekends or select days during the week, one confirmable absence of a regular promotion, the substitution during that time of a promo tied to use of the app, one anticipated promotion normally run in the spring which hasn't yet been announced although it normally has been by now, and the coincidental timing of a very lame promo (but possibly an alternative to a stay-based promo) tying the app to ordering food for delivery. Plus, a reasonable assumption that with hotel business on the rebound, franchisees want their cake and eat it too--increased business without offering much in the way of loyalty rewards.

I hope I'm Chicken Little. I'm worried I'm not.