FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Switching from IHG to Hyatt, poor experience so far
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:13 pm
tkelsay

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire
Yes, unfortunately this current client is on the outskirts of Atlanta and there really aren't a lot of nicer hotel options, most of them are the lower-tier brand. There's a few holiday inns, courtyards, hampton inns, double trees, HP/HH, and some others scattered in. There is a Hyatt Regency, it's one of the Regency's without a club unfortunately but it still looks nice from the pictures; however, I wasn't planning on staying there without status as then I'd have to tack on an extra expense of breakfast and the hotel is already priced quite a bit higher than the others in the area. When you add up the higher rate, paying for breakfast, and $10/day parking fee, I wouldn't be able to justify the large difference per night to the client.

Based on this client and my next one lined up, I do think a majority of my stays through June will be at HP/HH. However, the fact is that these stays would almost surely be at another low-tier hotel from one of the other major hotel chains. Therefore, I am somewhat running my comparison between the low/mid-tier hotels for work travel and then I plan to spend my personal travel (either via points or cash) at the higher end hotels that the brand offers.

Ultimately, I decided to leave IHG because the benefits were non-existent when traveling to Intercontinental's on points or on my own dime - they don't recognize Spire elite at Intercontinental so aside from the extra points earning and some other minor things, I didn't feel like Spire was benefiting me at all.

Overall I think the few Hyatt's I've stayed at aren't necessarily that bad of properties.. the HH building is new, the gym is large, and the indoor pool is nice. However my experiences at these hotels in just a few stays has been less than what I expected from Hyatt - fire alarms, broken stationary bike, crawling wifi, grumpy staff, etc.. And I'll be the first to say that IHG hotels, in particular Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Expresses, are extremely inconsistent and quite frankly some are garbage, however there is one nearby my current location that is quite new and has great facilities and fast wifi.

I have reached out to Hyatt via email 2 days ago and I am awaiting a response. I would like to keep giving Hyatt my business because I think the elite program is enticing and is exactly what I am looking for when I travel on personal time (suite upgrades, free parking, resort fees waived, etc.), but if my experience doesn't improve soon then I'm close to just cutting it and giving another brand a shot, perhaps Hilton or Marriott.

I appreciate all the responses from everyone, it has helped me get some perspective of what I should expect at these properties and with Hyatt in general. Thanks.