Old Feb 27, 18, 5:05 pm
PETER01
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Three lanes on entry to the Gate area, one for Priority and 2 for the rest ... then nothing. Which is fair enough if someone controls entry to the airbridge. IME they sonít often do that! Our first even KIN ex-LGW was just the same ... door left open, no Agent, so a mass charge. In fact the same on our very recent LGW-JER too, from Gate 12(?) ... door left open, Agent headed back to desk to make the boarding announcement.

The design of LGW(S) doesnít seem to lend itself to controlling boarding.
Thanks for that T8191, sounds like a staffing issue with no one to 'guard' the door. It was similar on AA from LHR to LAX last year when I went there. Into a really hot big pen and then one double door for everyone to go through although it was CK, Group1 etc and a poor experience there for me and I wouldn't do it again to be honest.

Originally Posted by internetplumber View Post
From my experience, yes ... ish.

On BA2279 to OAK last Saturday from gate thirty-something (i.e. in the rotunda), there was a Tensa barrier ahead of the main gate agents, staffed by G4S. An announcement was made that boarding would be made by group number, and then groups 1 and 2 were called forward to the G4S staff for their BP to be checked and the usual questions about purpose of visit before being passed onto the BA gate agents. I don't know much about what happened after groups 1 and 2, but it was definitely called by number rather than status (ditto for the return from OAK on Monday, but there can't have been more than 40 people on the entire flight when they called 1, 2 and 3 together).
Thanks for that data point internetplumber

Seems the OAK flights are very lightly loaded sometimes and plenty of seats!