FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2nd interview coming up, ok to ask about specific travel policies?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:18 am
COSPILOT

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Thanks all for the input.

I do know the territory I would cover, 6 states including Colorado, with a few trips per year to headquarters back east. Actually a very nice territory IMO, and a good product that I already know well. I actually want the job, as its a company with a good history and very little turnover. HR has actually been proactive and sent me the benefits package already, and I suspect given how quick things are going, I will have an offer on the table before the end of the week, all without an in person meeting. I did ask for the travel policy to be forwarded as well, and she responded with a question mark, as they don't have one. Small Company by the way, if that factors in.

What sparked my question is a previous company that took frugal to a new level. The guidelines were developed when the economy was in the toilet and travel was cheap. Now, with a booming economy its very difficult to not exceed company limits, to the point that productivity has suffered as a result. I got fed up and left the company, as did a few others. The few that remain still complain. Hard limits of $20/person for client dinners for example, $120/night hotel, $35/day car rental. I wont even mention how low the airfare limit was, but lets just say it was low enough that sales guys couldn't chase opportunities unless you spent a few hours pleading your case to upper management, each and every time. Because of these low limits and the requirement to setup a joint conference call with management for each and every trip exceeding corporate policy, I started logging the amount of time this consumed on a weekly basis. It was in the 20 hr range/week, which takes away from actually selling. Then add in staying miles away from the client to avoid exceeding the hotel limit, etc.

I'm not young, and I've been traveling for work for the last 15 years, but I refuse to repeat this again.

Last edited by COSPILOT; Feb 27, 2018 at 8:43 am