FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why is Thai still so expensive from BKK?
View Single Post
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:32 pm
Thai-Kiwi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Putting aside most of the exchange above, THAI used to have 'limited access' fares available only to people meeting particular requirements (which were not publicised).

The specific example I know about (from 20 years ago, and may not now exist) was a fare sold in NZ (and probably other markets) for overseas Thais at significantly reduced rates to those being marketed by travel agents (no/limited internet in those days).

My wife (who is Thai) heard about this from the Auckland Thai community, and so I enquired with Thai if such a fare was available or not. The fare did exist, but my memory fades on the requirements and applicability. I think a Thai passport was the main requirement. I also think that non-Thai partners could access the fare if proof of marriage was provided and the travel dates were the same.

My assumption at the time was it was a (govt-directed?) means to encourage Thais living overseas to visit/return home, perhaps to bring skills/investment back to Thailand. I wonder if Philippine Airlines has anything similar for the massive numbers of OFWs?