FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Japan Do #6 - Naha (Okinawa) - March 29-31 2018
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:13 pm
The_Wrath_of_Khan

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Are you talking about me? The real leader for this Do is The_Wrath_of_Khan who I believe will be posting a suggested Do schedule soon.

Sorry here is the long promised post. I think this DO is going to be great. I am still working on the final location for the Friday night, DO dinner.

Meet and greet drinks venue for Thursday evening:
Activities/visits for Friday (usually half day):
  • I would suggest Tomari Fish Market and Naminoue Shrine - both are relatively close together and Naminoue has a significant amount to see and do within walking distance, the fish market could also be done early Saturday for anyone interested. The water should be fairly warm by April so we can hit the beach at Naminoue also.
  • Makishi market also makes for a half-day walking tour, but is easily accessible enough that people can do this on their own
Activities/visits for Saturday (usually full day):
  • Shuri Castle walk with lunch and shopping in the Shuri area, this can easily take a whole day, but if we wanted to make it just a half day then we should integrate the Former Japanese Naval HQ into the day: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ture_Kyus.html
  • An alternate would be to take a bus (tickets are readily available for 1-infinate PAX) from Naha to the famous Churaumi Aquarium which I believe also involves some stops in the northern part of the island.
  • I will lead an early morning scuba diving excursion for those who are interested and have a valid PADI or NAUI open water certification. The diving here is spectacular.
Any post dinner/visit drinks excluding clear liquors:
I have plenty of other suggestions as well. Is anyone interested in renting a bus to take us around to different locations? Again Okinawa does not have the public transportation system that the rest of Japan enjoys. I am looking forward to showing off the island I've made home for the last 15 years. Another day trip option for Saturday or Sunday is to visit one of the outer islands which may involve humpback whale watching as they are in the area from January-March and we might just be able to catch them in April.

Last edited by The_Wrath_of_Khan; Feb 22, 2018 at 6:20 pm