FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)
View Single Post
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:42 am
longtimeflyin
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by SKYEG
WWYD? Would really appreciate some insight for people that are more experienced than me in the age of life...

You're 27, burnt out from current job and company, switching careers and relocating to a MUCH smaller city. Have two choices(zero travel for both, which is what I want right now):

A) Work a senor level consulting position in a small private company, make lots of $, but still continue to work crazy hours. Company has high expectations, so lots of pressure/stress.

B) Work an entry level role, take a step back and actually work a 9-5 in an office with zero stress, zero pressure and advancement opportunities later on for one of the largest companies in the world, with said firm. Make a considerable amount less $ and have to make a lifestyle change but actually have time to relax and have a life, no evenings, no weekends.

Starting to question why I am moving to YWG when job A) is what I'm leaving and job A) is what I'm going to. Now with Job B) on the table as well, I have to make a decision by Monday. I move this weekend. Getting so anxious that I have no clue what I want and what I'm doing... Money and success is important but I don't even know if I like what I do anymore. Job A and B are the same industry too. So stressed right now
I cannot emphasize how strongly I would encourage you to take Job #A . It is much more than just the money, but experience at a senior leader level while you are relatively young will pay significant dividends later on in your career. Don't look at it as just forgone money for the next few years by going to Job #B , but take a look at the salary differential for the next 30 years of your working life. Perhaps balance Job A with a bit of self funded travel to take off the stress, but I would encourage you to put your pedal to the metal.