FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Discussion: The merits of people moving miles to Alaska from SPG to book awards
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:32 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
So is it just me? I guess I get tired of reading all these people on here who have no connection to AS at all who simply dump a bunch of miles from some other source and then book international premium travel. Yes, I know it's all legal blah, blah, blah. I guess I feel like this kind of use of the program makes thing harder for those of us who actually fly AS (sometimes a lot) to get awards and could lead to tightening up the program in the future.
It's mostly just you (though I've heard this before). I have a tidy pile of AV miles. Some UA miles from a good promo. Got DL miles from 12Status and promos. I've picked up AA and BA over the years (I like using Avios for certain things, have NEVER flown BA, not even on an AS award). Used to have US miles. I credit rental cars to WN and get 600-2400 WN points a crack.

I think it's kind of dangerous to put all your faith in one airline loyalty program myself. AS has burned their customers with no-notice rule changes on multiple occasions. I'll probably walk to a combination of WN/whatever I am willing to pay for if they water down MP with a Basic Economy clone of UA/AA's punitive products. In the end excessive "loyalty" or emotional evaluation of airline programs is likely to lead to being a chump. The airline is being run like a business and is looking out for shareholders; I am the only one I can trust to look out for me.