FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Paradores in Extremadura
View Single Post
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:31 pm
embarcadero1

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Paradores in Extremadura

I'm planning a week of walking in Extremadura during the Spring (when I hope that the cherry trees are in bloom). I would love some feedback and advice on my proposed itinerary. I'll be going the first week of April, so plenty of time to make adjustments.

I'd love thoughts from anyone familiar with the region and, especially, the Paradores.

I've been to Plasencia and Cáceres before, but I'm skipping Plasencia this time since my assumption is that Cáceres is slightly better located. I'm happy to reconsider this. Other questions:

- How much time for Mérida and Zafra? I'd like a day or so of looking at ruins in Mérida, but otherwise, I'm trying to be outside as much as possible on this trip.
- Should I end the trip in Seville? Córdoba? I've been to both before, and could either add a night in one of the locations on the itinerary or a night in Madrid.

Any hotels I should consider? Fantastic restaurants?

Thanks in advance!

Day 1, Tue: Arrive Madrid about 4:45 PM. I could either stay in Madrid (where I usually stay at the Hotel Urso) or drive to Ávila or somewhere West.
Day 2, Wed: Drive to Jarandilla de Vera (~2.5 hours). Stay at the Parador for 2 nights. Walk to the Monasterio de Yuste.
Day 3, Thu: at Jarandilla, walking in the Sierra nearby.
Day 4, Fri: Drive to Hervás, walk nearby, drive to Cáceres (~1 hour).Drive to the Parador in Cáceres.
Day 5, Sat: Urban walks in the city of Cáceres.
Day 6, Sun: Drive to Mérida (~1.5 hours), explore Roman ruins.
Day 7, Mon: Drive to Zafra (~1 hour), stay at Parador, walking the Vía de Plata
Day 8, Tue: Zafra, staying in the castle
Day 9, Wed: Drive to either Córdoba or Seville to leave car, catch train to Madrid for three nights at the Urso.