Old Feb 20, 18, 12:23 am
lost_in_translation

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Originally Posted by florin View Post
QR has revised its UG policy. This is not limited to points upgrades; it applies to cash upgrades as well. The fact that lounge access and luggage allowance are no longer part of the deal means that the UG has just reduced in value. It costs the same (points or cash) but delivers less. Someone at QR must have looked at people using points or cash for UGs and decided that there is sufficient demand to diminish the offering while maintaining the same price. They have the data; we don't. As it stands now, UGs don't get you the full J experience; you just get the J seat and service, priority boarding and J security lines with no additional luggage, no lounge access.

I have upgraded myself in the past. usually MEL-DOH flights. and in those situations lounge access was important because it would mean that after a day at work (then driving to the airport for an evening flight) I could shower before the long flight. These UGs look less attractive.

I'm surprised to see people questioning their loyalty to QR based on this one thing. Of course, we are all different have place value on different aspects of the flying experience. The value that an airline presents to me is determined by multiple factors. The ability to accumulate points and then use them for UGs is not a top priority, but can appreciate that this is important for others.
The impact of this change is very much exacerbated by the fact QR is primarily a transit airline, and so there is an expectation amongst passengers that they will have access to a lounge during the wait between flights - there is no option for travellers losing out through this change to just turn up at the airport later, which is what makes it particularly weird a Middle Eastern airline is implementing this policy.

On top of that, there is an obvious unfairness to outright redemptions made through other OW airlines getting lounge access when QRís own cash passengers paying in advance to upgrade donít. Iím not at all surprised.