FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express retention offers (2017-2019).
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:38 am
aubreyfromwheaton

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Biz Plat Data Point and advice for future posts

I called to cancel biz plat.

I was txfr to retention.

He asked me probing questions about "what is your business" and "what changed" and so on.

I said "the fee is too much" and "not competitive with Chase" and "pain in the ... to get points back with only one airline and fee credit is a pain in the ..." and "you guys changed from 50% to 35% back"

Well you can use your points to cover the fee so it's not out of pocket... that was an obvious non-starter and there were no other offers for me.

So I cancelled.

Honestly it was close in value, but a bird in the hand ($450) beats 2 in the bush ($200 credit in 2019, use of the club, 35% back on my remaining points if I use my airline).
Also who knows if another mailer will come and I churn it over.

Lastly:

I think we should say whether we used the whole fee credit $200 per year (or twice if first year) and/or TSA fee credit etc.

I wonder if someone was less efficient with it, maybe they are more generous with retention offers. I realize probably not, because it's FT and people are savvy, but just curious.