FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cheaper fair on Kayak
View Single Post
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:16 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
Usually when I start to say "SFO-HKG as a single leg on the outbound with a break in Japan..." you can tell they're not listening and/or unwilling to take the time to find that fare.
I booked something like this once. It came up fine on ITA and United.com, but I was changing a canceled reservation, so I had to call. The first agent seemed nice but got increasingly upset as I gave her the flights that I wanted. I'm not sure what she did, but she managed to price it at $2600 (vs. the correct $1100). When I said I didn't think that was right, she said something about how I was "traveling on four different days" and basically couldn't expect it to be any cheaper than that.

I declined, thanked her, paced off some frustration at having wasted my time, called back -- and got an agent who put in the flights I wanted (more or less -- I think I accepted a shorter connection than I really wanted at one airport to try to avoid triggering the second agent), priced it, and came back with $1100. (Meanwhile, I'm sure the first agent was ticked off about the customer who wasted her time and was trying to cheat her airline by flying on four separate days :shrug: ).