FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Daniel K. Inouye Airport to get new $1.1 billion concourse
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:51 pm
Kumulani

Programs: AA EXP
Your link is broken, here is the correct one: Daniel K. Inouye Airport to get new $1.1 billion concourse

Finally! This is a much needed project that will be in addition to the already planned Mauka Concourse, and will replace the current Diamond Head Concourse, which is very outdated and doesn't even have the proper passenger separation for the international arrivals it processes. I am extremely happy to see that there will be a new CBP facility as the current one is way too small for the traffic it handles, especially on the baggage side of things. I wonder if this new facility will replace the current one, or be in addition to it. CBP doesn't like staffing multiple locations at one airport when it can be avoided, but it would make sense operationally for HA to keep their international operations in the Ewa Concourse where they can be close to the Interisland Terminal. This new concourse should eliminate WikiWiki buses for international arrivals, and greatly reduce their use for other purposes as well.

I can understand why they won't be able to start for another 5 years; this project depends on the Mauka Concourse being finished. My guess is that once HA moves a significant portion of their mainland traffic to Mauka, that should free up enough space in Ewa to move the current Diamond Head operations there. Then demolition of Diamond Head can begin. What I don't understand is why they're claiming the construction of the concourse will take another 5 years once started. That's a ridiculous amount of time for a project like this, it's almost as much time as took to build DEN from scratch! Maybe they're already anticipating the inevitable delays that will happen based on the track record of this state, and baking them into the schedule from the beginning.